MTV’s Video Music Awards is a wonderful night celebrating some of the most influential, talented and hard working artists in the music industry. In celebration of the visuals to these artist’s songs, celebrities come in different shapes and forms to ultimately celebrate the one thing they live for – music. While the award show started in 1984 as an alternative to the prestigious Grammy Awards, over the years the VMA’s have created a name for itself. Through performance, red carpet fashion and spontaneous, unplanned moments the MTV Video Music Awards has become what it is today! Below are 10 reasons that you won’t want to miss the ceremony!
1. This year, the ever so controversial Miley Cyrus will be hosting the show. Back in 2013 the “We Can’t Stop” singer turned heads when she teamed up with Robin Thicke to deliver one of the most talked about performances in VMA history. This time around Miley promises a “raw” and “psychedelic” performance. Based off of the most recent promotions, I’m sure it will just be that!
2. For the second year in a row, Nicki Minaj will be opening up the award show. Last year, Nicki teamed up with Ariana Grande and Jessie J to deliver a remarkable medley of “Anaconda” and her collaboration track, “Bang Bang”. This time around, Nicki is promising a jaw dropping performance that is rumored to be a world premiere of The Pink Print track “Trini Dem Girls”!
3. MTV shocked viewers when they presented the brand new, Jeremy Scott-designed, VMA trophy. Unlike the original moon man, the new rainbow-tinted trophy rocks a huge chain with a peace symbol! Does the new moon man foreshadow a shift in VMA entertainment … only time will tell!
4. The MTV Video Music Awards are known for the craziest red carpet fashions. The VMAs is the one award show that celebrities are allowed to wear whatever they want! This allows artists to showcase their artistic and sometimes odd fashions throughout the night.
5. Justin Bieber will be making his return with a world premier of his new single “What Do You Mean”. The last time Justin Bieber hit the stage was back in 2010 with a medley of “Baby”, “Somebody To Love” and “U Smile”. After of year of bad publicity, I’m sure Bieber is well on his way to the perfect comeback!
6. First Britney Spears, then Justin Bieber, next Beyonce and now Kanye West! This year Kanye West will be receiving the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard award! In spirit if VMAs, which Kanye has followed on numerous occasion, Kanye will hit the stage to accept his award! How will he follow-up to Beyonce’s iconic moment?
7. Demi Lovato will be performing her summertime hit “Cool For The Summer”. Based on the singer’s current confidence and lyrics, “I got a taste for that cherry, I just need to take a bite”, I’m sure Demi’s performance will be no less than the colorful and sexy music video.
8. The Weeknd will hit the VMA stage for the first time with his Max Martin produced, #1 hit Can’t Feel My Face. Between releasing his highly anticipated album Beauty Behind The Madness and being the most successful R&B singer at the moment, The Weeknd is sure to leave viewers with an amazing performance that they will remember.
9. The VMAs light up the night! Expect some of music’s biggest stars – big and small! Other performers include A$AP Rocky, Tori Kelly, Pharrell, Taylor Swift and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis! Other stars on the guest list include Britney Spears, Bruno Mars, , Nick Jonas, Rita Ora, Fergie, Nessa and many more!
10. MTV’s Video Music Awards will be the most talked about, highest trending and definitely the most entertainment you’ll be getting in a long time. Sit back, sign on and enjoy because you’ll never know what will happen! The 2015 Video Music Awards start Sunday night at 9pm|est on MTV!